“Community Based, Nationally Recognized”
|Building Skills and Confidence
For Skating and for Life
At Northfield Skating School, we encourage participation, enjoyment, and achievement in skating by fostering a positive, inclusive, and challenging learning environment.
We are a U.S. Figure Skating model program and we offer programs for skaters ages 4 – adult with a full range of recreational and competitive skating goals. We collaborate with local organizations to increase programs and access to skating.
We offer 3 sessions of lessons annually at the Northfield Arena. We have many strong ties within the skating community and connect our students with opportunities to skate throughout the year. Skating is a year-round sport!
We are community-based and nationally recognized, and our skaters build confidence and skills for skating and for life.
Our Core Values
Quality ~ Commitment ~ Community ~ Leadership ~ Enthusiasm
Why Learn to Skate?
- Build strength and coordination while having FUN
- Skating is a sport and an art
- Skating is a lifelong activity you can share with your friends and family
- Skating builds character and life skills: determination, focus, self-expression, teamwork, and more
Why Skate with NSS?
- Safe, professional, and fun environment
- High parent satisfaction and returning student rates
- Low skater to instructor ratios
- Fun events like Bring a Friend Day, Skating Camps, and Spirit Nights
- Top quality staff featured in SKATING magazine. All instructors are professionally trained.
- Automatic U.S. Figure Skating membership and Sports Liability Coverage
- Scholarships and discounts
- We are a family program: Over 60% of skaters have additional family members enrolled.
- We are the link to the advanced testing and competitive structure. Begin with us and learn the basics to pursue any skating path.
- Volunteer and leadership opportunities for skaters and parents
- Hockey players welcome. Learning proper skating technique is one of the best foundations for playing on a team.
- Nationally recognized director is active on U.S. Figure Skating committees, writes for industry magazines and is the author of the U.S. Figure Skating Director Handbook, and presents at Director/Instructor training workshops nationwide (see In the News). Earned “Making a Difference Award” from the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative
- Named Model Program by the editors of SKATING Magazine
- Awarded Northfield Healthy Community Initiative’s Making a Difference Award for positive impact on local youth.
- Awarded Shearer grant from the City of Northfield’s Economic Development Authority to aid expansion, based on ability to retain college students and bring customers into Northfield.
- Created mentorship and job training program for junior coaches featured in SKATING Magazine.
- Director serves on multiple governing committees of U.S. Figure Skating and authored the national governing body’s Skating Director Handbook
- NSS has trained Minnesota State Championships finalists, Gold Test skaters, and U.S. Figure Skating Upper Great Lakes Regional Championships competitors.
- Director has published ten articles on management and leadership topics, and the NSS business model in industry magazines SKATING, Professional Skater, and RINK, and anchored U.S. Figure Skating Director/Instructor training workshops nationwide featuring the NSS model.
- Our partnership with Northfield Public Schools Community Services Division was featured in U.S. Figure Skating’s Club Spotlight
- We have been featured in the Carleton Voice, Brighton Living Magazine, and multiple times in SKATING magazine
- Staff directed opening number of Stars on Ice Post-Olympic tour featuring 30 twin cities-area skaters at the Xcel Center